I don’t do Resolutions…
Now that I have resurrected my blog from the ashes of hacker-hell, I may as well start using it again. It was interesting as I spent hours yesterday going through and relinking photos to the posts that had them, reading what was going on in my life from 2005 – 2012. It’s interesting to note that for the most part, what I was struggling with then, is what I’m struggling with now. And mostly that has to do with weight loss.
Of particular note were the posts I had made about setting goals, then posts about reviewing those goals. I’m not sure why I got out of that habit, but it was a good one, so I’m going to attempt to resurrect that as well. I also think the habit of blogging was a good one too, so I’m going to attempt to resurrect that too. The problem is that in 2005, no one really knew what blogging was, and in fact, I was blogging as early as 2002 before the terms blog or blogging even existed. I have those old HTML pages and will bring those back to this blog for preservation purposes. In 2005, I only had this blog. Well it was another blog, but it was this content. Well not THIS content, but all the content that you see following this. NOW here in 2015, I have this blog (again), I have my http://guytryingtofly.com/ blog and I also have my business blog at http://altitude-re.com/ too. So blogging could very well become a full time job for me if I write regularly in all three of them!
So that being said, about the title of this post . . . I’ve never done New Years Resolutions. Ever. I don’t sit down at midnight on 12/31 of every year and resolve to do something the following year. Rather, I set goals. At least once per year, I sit down (usually in the 4th quarter of the year) and figure out what I want to accomplish in the following year. As this blog can attest, I used to do it more frequently than once a year, I used to do it monthly. At the VERY LEAST, I’d like to do it quarterly. So without further ado . . Goals for 2016:
- The Altitude Homes Team will Close 100 Real Estate Transaction Sides by
- 50 Listings Sold
- 50 Buyers Closed
- The Altitude Homes Team Will Hire an Executive Assistant that is Loyal and Stays Put for a Few Years by 03/31/2016
- I will Weigh Less than 270 Pounds by 12/31/2016
- I will Weigh Less than 310 Pounds by 02/15/2016
- I will Weigh Less than 305 Pounds by 03/31/2016
- I will Weigh Less than 295 Pounds by 06/30/2016
- I will Weigh Less than 282 Pounds by 09/30/2016
- I will Fly as Pilot In Command (PIC) A Minimum of 50 Hours in 2016
- I will Fly to California at least Once
- I will Fly to Idaho at least Once
- I will Fly to Canada at least Once
- I will land at a minimum of 10 new (to me) airports in Washington by 12/31/2016
- I will do a minimum of 20 hours of Cross Country Time Logged
- I will get checked out in another airplane (Piper Cherokee 140, Piper Arrow, Cessna 182, Cirrus SR-20 or SR-22 are all options)
- I will begin Instrument Rating training with a Certified Flight Instructor Instrument (CFII)
- I will achieve my complex and high performance endorsements in 2016
- I will go on a minimum of 3 snow shoeing adventures by 03/31/2016
- I will have completed at least one 5K run by 04/30/2016
- I will have completed a least one sprint Triathlon by 06/30/2016
- I will have completed at least one long distance (50+ Miles) cycling event by 09/30/2016
- I will have cut my carbohydrate intake significantly (less than 90g/day) by 03/31/2016
- Teri and I will take a minimum of one vacation of at least 7 days in 2016
- Teri and I will take a minimum of three long weekends of at least 3 days in 2016
- I will have the 2014 Mini Cooper S Roadster paid off by 12/31/2016
- We will have started to pay off the second mortgage at a faster rate by 12/31/2016
- We will have made significant progress towards a down payment on our first rental home 12/31/2016
You’ll notice all my goals are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time Bound). Jerry, Brian and I put on a very fine presentation on SMART goals at the University of Phoenix one year . . . And since that time when I do set goals, they tend to follow that format. It’s fun to go back through and see all the goals I set, and which ones I achieved. Let’s see how we do with these…
What goals do you have in 2016? I’d love to hear about them in the comments below.
Linda Kay Hurlbut | Jan 2, 2016 at 5:49 pm
Very nice, especially the flight to Ca. Love you
Rick Uncangco | Jan 3, 2016 at 12:51 am
Great job on the goals John! I am making some of my own but they certainly are not nearly as thorough as yours are. I’ll share them when they become more specific and definable. Goodluck with your goals this year my friend! 🙂
admin | Jan 5, 2016 at 5:21 pm
Max Slim HCA | Jan 5, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Hmm it seems like your website ate my first comment
(it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying
your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to the whole thing.
Do you have any recommendations for inexperienced blog writers?
I’d certainly appreciate it.
admin | Jan 5, 2016 at 5:19 pm
Thanks for the kind words! I don’t know that I have any advice per se . . I just write what I’m feeling at the time. Sometimes it’s nonsensical and other times it’s just pure crap. But it’s just me.